Yeah, thats whats forcing me to stick with enblend and "jiggle the handle"
till the black tiles go away.  This 240 tile project gives 1 - 4 black
areas every stitch if the images are in order ( right to left / top to
bottom ).   I was going to dig into this, but I've always had issues
building enblend from source owing to vigra, but I guess I need to figure
that out to look under the hood.   FWIW I do see this issue when there is a
regular overlap in the shooting pattern as there is in this project.
Unfortunately the tool I'm working on as a substitute for cpfind needs the
order of the images to be preserved at the moment - once thats fixed
somehow then I can permute the image order and sidestep this.