I realise I did not mention the flags I used when configuring hwloc. I am
using

-g -h gnu -O3

which explicitly asks to recognise GNU extensions. (I need to use -h gnu to
compile certain other code.) This would explain why __GNUC__ is defined...
Apologies for omitting this earlier.

-erik

--
Erik Schnetter <schnet...@cct.lsu.edu>