I build a software package (Cactus) where several components require
certain external libraries to be present. To simplify the build process,
Cactus can build these external packages if they are not already provided
by the system. Cactus then uses the same build environment and compiler
flags for the external packages as for its application code.

If necessary, I could easily build hwloc manually, and point Cactus to it.
However, I like the automation, and since I also like hwloc I thought I'd
track down and correct the problem.

-erik