Yes, one and only one, the top-level root object of the topology.

This is somehow implied by the doc of HWLOC_OBJ_MACHINE itself ("The
root object type"), I guess I should make it even more clear there? If
there's another place in the doc where this should be added/clarified,
please let me know.

Brice