Hello

I can fix the documentation to say that the function always suceeds and
returns the virtual depth for NUMA/IO/Misc.

I don't understand your third sentence. If by "actual depth", you mean
the depth of a (normal) parent where NUMA are attached (for instance the
depth of Package if NUMAs are attached to Packages), see
hwloc_get_memory_parents_depth(). However, you may have NUMA/IO/Misc
attached to parents at different depths, so it doesn't make much sense
in the general case.

What do you use this function for? I thought of removing it from 2.0
because it's hard to define a "usual" order for object types (for
instance L3 can be above or below NUMA for different modern platforms).

Brice