Yung-Fong Tang wrote:

> My question is how to do it without using X core font.
> Brain Stell remind me that I should mention why I ask this question.
> The main reason is PR China govement are pushing adoption of GB18030
> standard. GB18030 encode not only Unicode BMP but also the Han
> Ideography Ext B Block in the surrogate area. We need to support that
> on Linux too.

It seems that most people here think Xft is the right way to go.  Or
GTK+.

My experience with Xft is that it is very easy to use (at least for
Chinese
character display).  It provides 4 version of XftDrawStrings:

XftDrawString8()
XftDrawString16()
XftDrawString32()
XftDrawStringUtf8()

I personally likes XftDrawStringUtf8().  Xft uses Freetype to read
font files.  So as long as Freetype can handle Format 12 TTF or
any other format, applications don't need to worry about it.

As for GB18030, the last time I read is that it is now only has
Unicode BMP equivalent part defined: CJK Unified Ideographs
and CJK Unified Ideographs Ext A, and others.  Ext B is not
currently in yet but it definitely will be.

Since mozilla is already using Unicode internally, the support for
GB18030 should be very simple.  One thing you may consider,
once Xft support is done, is combine all the GB2312, GBK, GB18030
encodings into one: PRC GB.  I don't see why they need to be
separated as it is now.

Regards,

Yao Zhang