Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> While on that:
>
> Currently symbols files also map some modifiers. e.g, from symbols/ru
>
>     modifier_map Shift  { Shift_L };
>     modifier_map Lock   { Caps_Lock, ISO_Lock };
>     modifier_map Control{ Control_L };
>     modifier_map Mod3   { Mode_switch };
>
> Are all of them correct? I tend to think that there's too much copy&paste
> between the different symbols files.

  I don't think they are incorrect but most of them are redundant.
I suppose there should be one a 'base' map with alphabet-independed keysyms
(modifier keys, function keys, keypad, etc.) which variant depends on
model (pc101, pc104, etc.). And most of modifier_map instructions can be
placed there. Some portion of modifier_maps can be in files added by
XkbOptions. It seems to me modifier_maps should never appear in
'partial layout' files.

> > Don't forget that the key in each group can have more than two
> > 'shift levels' (up to 64 !). Currently most of maps (except Bulgarian and
> > Czech) use only two levels in each group. But we can place keysyms that
> > now occupate an additional group to an additional levels, and assign
> > to AltGr key an additional modifier (for a third/fourth level shift) instead
> > of 'group shift' action.
>
> OK. So is there a problem?
  There is not.
  Just a lot of work for editing lot of files.  :-)
--
 Ivan U. Pascal         |   e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Administrator of     |   Tomsk State University