Having read this widely popular thread :-) I'm still fuzzy about what
the consensus was (if any) and what is needed to make the inclusion of
Bidi into xterm a reality.

I would like to note that there have been a number of calls along the
lines of "Bidi might/is difficult [in relation to terminal emulators],
but it is needed" (Mr. Cotton remarks being the most concise and eloquent).

Can we put all the technical issues on the table to have a go at it ?
There are certainly enough technically skilled people interested in making
this happen to where it just might become a reality given enough direction
from XFree proper on what is acceptable and what is not (strictly from a
technical point of view).

To summarize (in an attempt to better focus on this issue), the following
projects (although might not be complete) are an excellent start and prove
the user's need/want/interest (at a minimum),

 1. Mr. Brady's patch (xterm-152-27 patch)*
    http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/xterm

 2. mlterm
    http://mlterm.sourceforge.net

 3. The "luit" approach

(*) Mr. Brady's patch might require pulling fribidi externally instead
    of it being an integral part of the code (or replacing fribidi with
    IBM's ICU (license issues) altogether).

So what's next ?  How can we best align all these efforts and the abundant
need and want for Bidi+xterm into realizing this functionality (even if it
were optional) ?

Regards,

 - Nadim