On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> Can we put all the technical issues on the table to have a go at it ?
> There are certainly enough technically skilled people interested in making
> this happen to where it just might become a reality given enough direction
> from XFree proper on what is acceptable and what is not (strictly from a
> technical point of view).

Read below...

> (*) Mr. Brady's patch might require pulling fribidi externally instead
>     of it being an integral part of the code (or replacing fribidi with
>     IBM's ICU (license issues) altogether).

I definitely prefer linking externally to FriBidi, despite its license
problems. ICU is in C++, and is really heavyweight. Other solutions:

1) Try to change FriBidi's license: very hard, because of code borrowing
from many different LGPL-ed projects. But most of the borrowed code is
copyright FSF, we are a step ahead if we can convince them.

2) Rewrite a Bidi engine from scratch, without license problems: much
harder, you can't imagine how hard it was to get FriBidi Unicode
compliant.

> So what's next ?  How can we best align all these efforts and the abundant
> need and want for Bidi+xterm into realizing this functionality (even if it
> were optional) ?

We can't start a new academic project without reading all that there
exists. Similarly, you won't get anywhere if you don't read the only
existing Bidi standard for terminals (ECMA TR/53). To read it, you will
also need a copy of ISO 6429 at hand. Markus's page on Unicode links to
both.

roozbeh