Hi,

this isn't purely i18n, but since keyboard remapping is a major part of
localization efforts, I hope you guys can help.

I have an oddball multimedia keyboard here with the usual set of
additional keys, e.g. "sleep", "eject", "play" and "volume up". What I
need is an xkb model definition for this type of keyboard.

The problem is - these additonal keys don't bind to unused scancodes (as
the usual internet keyboards found in ./lib/X11/xkb/symbols/inet), but are
mapped on combinations of Shift+Control with a scancode already used for
normal keys. A few examples:

        Sleep: Shift+Control+7
        Eject: Shift+Control+A
        Play:  Shift+Control+F2
        Vol+:  Shift+Control+F9
        etc.

So how can I easily map these key combinations to the the special values
of ./lib/X11/xkb/symbols/inet, such as XF86Sleep, XF86Eject, XF86Play,
XF86AudioRaiseVolume etc.?

Ivan Pascal's guide at http://www.tsu.ru/~pascal/en/xkb was very helpful
to understand the keyboard defintions in the ./lib/X11/xkb/ directory.
However, from what I read so far, it seems that I have to...

        - define a new "interpret" line in ./lib/X11/xkb/compat/
        - bind shift+control as a new modifier, switching to a new group
        - define the symbols above for each key in the new group
        - define a new keyboard variant using this symbol definition

But I had hoped for an easier, straightforward solution, one that would be
more similar to the definition of the MS Natural Pro keyboard.

So, is there a _simple_ way to tell xkb to translate

        Shift+Control+7 => XF86Sleep?

Thanks,

Hanno

--
epublica
Website-Technologie://Konzeption/Produktion/Wartung

Haus der Multimedia-Produzenten
Behringstraße 28a / Haus 2
22765 Hamburg

[EMAIL PROTECTED]