Hi guys!

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 19:42, Anthony Fok wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 02:43:49PM +0800, James Su wrote:
> > I have done the HKSCS-2001 patchs for glibc, XFree86 and qt-2.3.x. But I
> > have no enough time to test them. And the most important, I have no ttf
> > font that comforms to HKSCS-2001 :-(
>
> That's true.  I guess that even those 70000+-glyph super CJK fonts by
> Founders may not totally conform to HKSCS-2001 yet because they may not
> have compatibility mappings (in PUA) and the 30 or so characters not
> yet accepted into ISO 10646.

Perhaps we can use tools such as oto[1] to modify the font's cmap table.
(One question: is the cmap table in UCS-2, UTF-16, or UCS-4/UTF-32?)

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/oto

But Founder's font is not free, is it?

[...]
> The ITSD provides a font on their website.  It only uses the EUDC, but
> could be a start.  BTW, Roger says that the *.TTE may be used under
> XFree86.  I just haven't tried it yet.  :-)

Well, a *.TTE is just a normal TrueType font.  What Windows does is that
it will search for a glyph in a normal font first, and if it can't find
the glyph for a particular codepoint, it'll look in the associated
.TTE.  Rather like X's fontset concept.

Having said all that, please note that the current Big5-HKSCS X locale
has problems if you want to use a separate HKSCS font (as a .TTE) in
addition to a normal Big5 font.  I guess that with the X locale
database's limitations -- it insists on ISO-2022 terminologies like
GL/GR -- to fully support this mode of operation we need an XOM (X
Output Method) module.  No, I'm not volunteering to write one. :)

And I've heard that in XFree86 4.2 (X11R6.6), everything's different
again.  But I won't have time to check out 4.2 soon, until it is
uploaded to Debian sid anyway. :)

[...]
> I am not too happy that the U+20021..U+2F9D4 to Big5-HKSCS mapping
> takes up so much space (nearly 70 KB for just 1651 entries) because of
> the sparse array.  Anyhow, BIG5HKSCS.so grew from 115165 bytes to
> 185240 bytes here.  Not a big deal, but even the big GB18030.so is only
> 130356 bytes...  :-) I am thinking of using a hash instead for that
> area, but that'll be an experiment for another day.  Fun stuff!  :-)

Heh.  Still better than the giant "switch ... case ... case ..." block
that I first thought of. :)

Or perhaps you can have a sorted mapping table with which you can do a
binary search on.

Cheers

Roger
--
  Roger So                 Debian Developer
  Sun Wah Linux Limited    i18n/L10n Project Leader