On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 04:33:06PM +0200, Vasilis Vasaitis wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 12:03:08PM +0800, Anthony Fok wrote:
> > Cool!  (Thanks for the info!)  Although this won't be needed unless X
> > supports beyond BMP...  Or are you implying that this will come in handy
> > when Xft is used to render fonts for the BIG5-HKSCS encoding?  Woohoo!  ;-)
> >
> > And yeah, if Xlib already has this function, I don't have to go write one
> > from scratch blindly (because I am new to hashing... ;-)  Thanks for the
> > tip!  :-)
>
>   You might also want to try GNU gperf, a perfect hash function generator. I
> haven't used it personally, but AFAIK it's a good tool for this kind of
> task.

gperf will generate a hash function for a known set of data.
It will generate an almost perfect hash with a few collisions. Actually,
the size of the hash table can be control at command line.
Collisions are handled by the generated hash functions for you.

Very easy to use, I used it to hash the frequency of Chinese
character in zh-autoconvert (A Chinese encoding converter
written by saka). For 400 items, a hash table of size around
1000, and 5 collisions. Of cause it is for my specific data.

--
Best regard
hashao