On Mon, Jul 08, 2002, Jungshik Shin wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Edward Lee wrote:
>
> >   There are `two' Traditional Chinese fonts here. In zh-tw the
> >   radical/stroke of some glyphs are differrent with the TC glyphs
> >   in GB18030 fonts.
>
>   Could you give Unicode code points of a few of those characters?
> Have you checked them out at your own government's Han character variant
> dictionary at http://140.111.1.40?

  Yes, I know the site.

  The examples are U+89D2(Big5 0xa8a4), U+904E(Big5 0xb94c),
                   U+9AA8(Big5 0xb0a9), U+5433(Big5 0xa764),

  Of course including that glyphs contained those radicals.

  And try to compaire with the following fonts:

  ftp://cle.linux.org.tw/pub/fonts/fonts/twmoefont/ttf/

  Some of Arphic font(bsmi00lp.ttf) use GB18030 fonts convention.

> >   So if we(zh-TW) use GB18030 fonts, it will confuse our school(
> >   teacher and student) and/or government. cause we can't find those
> >   glyphs in our dictionary.
>
>   By 'our dictionary', did you mean all dictionaries used in Taiwan
> or just some small (not so extensive) dictionaries supposedly used by
> (elementary) school children?

  I have Kang-Shi Chinese dictionary and The New Yutang Chinese-English
  Dictionary(The Chinese University of Hon Kong) and three other
  Chinese dictionaries(not so small, 2464 pages).

  There are some writting convention of the `two' Traditional Chinese
  fonts, so if possible zh-TW should use Ming typeface, especially
  for the school(education) use. Some are variant, but some not.

Edward G.J. Lee