Around 10 o'clock on Jul 8, Leon Ho wrote:

> It would be a good idea to let user to determine (or overwrite the default)
> on what font they want to use for each language (ie. in fonts.conf).

That's a given and already provided for; users set their preferences for
each generic family name and that provides a global priority list for all
of their available fonts; those with appropriate langages are picked as
needed from the list.

> I think the ideal way is to add certified GB18030 for zh, but with lower
> priority. But of course users may encounter the mixed glyphs from different
> character if they have a incomplete Big5 or HKSCS font.

Matching only the language and not the country is of lower priority than
matching both, so if you have a zh-tw font and a simple zh font,
requesting zh-tw will prefer the zh-tw font.

Now, the question is whether the gb18030 font should *not* advertise zh-tw
support, and for that I can rely on the codePageRange bits.  That seems
sufficient.

So, my overall plan is to use the codePageRange bits only to *exclude* Han
languages -- a codePageRange table marked with any Han language will cause
the font to not advertise support for any of the other Han languages
(unless it has those bits set as well, like Arial Unicode does).

> http://www.info.gov.hk/digital21/eng/hkscs/download.html

Thanks.  I notice that the newest part of this table references quite a
few symbols beyond the BMP; would you suggest that I use the older
entries?  Or should I use the non-BMP entries and let people only use
fonts with support for those glyphs?

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab