On Tue November 19 2002 05:15, David Dawes wrote:
> OK, it's clear from this and other reponses that there's still a lot of
> open issues, many of which are definitely beyond the scope of 4.3.0 and
> are things we should try to solve for a later release.

Well, this discussion was ans still is a very interesting discussion, but I
agree with david, we should get real now, 4.3.0 is near, and the main subject
is changing the default layouts to the new ones. Other issues can wait for
after 4.3.0

> Would it be reasonable to change the default to the new maps (and provide
> a way of forcing the old ones) for the next few weeks, so that the new
> ones can get more exposure?  We can then decide at that time whether to
> change the default back to the old maps before for the release.  With this
> method we'd keep the old ones around unless we are confident by 30 Nov
> that we can replace them completely with the new ones.

This is really a good method, focus on the main subejct now, change the
default layout, and provide older ones for people who might need them. That's
it.

> To summarise a timetable:
>
>   - Change the default to the new maps now, so more people will be exposed
>     to them.
>   - No major structural change (like removing old maps) after 30 November
>   - Changes accepted to maps until ~mid December
>   - Choose which are the default (for Option "XkbLayout" "us") by
>     ~mid December.
>
>   - Come up with a plan to address the other issues after 4.3.0.
>
> Comments?

Your plan is great david.

--
Calling their enemies "terrorists" was an excuse for
the Nazis to do whatever violation of the human rights.

Aryan