> > However, Locale Independance sounds like it would be fairly easy to
> > implement and have the added benefit of removing one of the keyboard
> > configuration methods.
>
> What do you mean with "one of the keyboard configuration methods"?

What I meant here are the two configuration methods -- XKB or the old Xlib
(that you get when using the option XkbDisable).

> > It seems like you're saying that instead of using a locale, the compose
> > config would be chosen as a result of the keymap chosen. If that's true,
> > that sounds like a great solution to the Locale problem.
>
> I didn't mean the compose file will be chosen automaticaly with the keymap
> choice.  I just meant the compose file choice *depends* on keyboard layout
> choice.  And a user will have the same compose rules for different locales
> (it's quite real situation if one uses C locale for some applications and
> en_US.UTF-8 for others).

So if a user chooses keyboard layout X, he can have the option of Compose
rules A or B? So how would a user choose? Through your proposed environment
variable?

> > Unless per-user customization is really, really pressing, I wouldn't add
> > it outside of the "ideal" Xkb solution.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I think I will anyway. :-)

So can locale independance be done without the per-user customization? It
sounds like it can, but you still want to implement this non-ideal way to
configure it.

Frank