On 10/21/13, 5:02 PM, Scott Whyte wrote:
We've submitted a draft of what we believe to be interesting bulk data
collection use cases for I2RS, and the concomitant functionality
missing from existing solutions.  Please read and comment.

Normative and informative references are still to be added, and the
draft is still rough around the edges.  Data model discussions are
deliberately left out, hopefully the scope is sufficient.  And of
course other interesting use cases would be welcome.

Thanks for having a look.

Thanks for raising this, Scott. In terms of the streaming (i.e., live data feeds), I see this as a very valuable thing for our traceability draft as well. I feel there is a good compliment there. Early on I had thought I2RS itself (via notifications) could make logging data available as a "stream."

With your idea of bulk information collection and querying/filtering, we can install a filter to collect specific log messages or specific parts of log messages. This would be very beneficial for troubleshooting and consistency validation.

Joe

-Scott

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <internet-dra...@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-swhyte-i2rs-data-collection-system-00.txt
To: Scott Whyte <swh...@google.com>, Marcus Hines <hi...@google.com>,
Warren Kumari <war...@kumari.net>

A new version of I-D, draft-swhyte-i2rs-data-collection-system-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Scott Whyte and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-swhyte-i2rs-data-collection-system
Revision:        00
Title:           Bulk Network Data Collection System
Creation date:   2013-10-21
Group:           Individual Submission
Number of pages: 10
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-swhyte-i2rs-data-collection-system-00

Abstract:
    Collecting large amounts of data from network infrastructure devices
    has never been very easy.  Existing methods generate CPU and memory
    loads that may be unacceptable, the output varies across
    implementations and can be difficult to parse, and these methods are
    often difficult to scale.  I2RS programmatic interfacing with the
    routing system may exacerbate this problem: state needs to be
    collected from nodes and fed to consumers participating in the
    control plane that may not be physically close to the nodes.  This
    state includes not only control plane information, but elements of
    the data plane that have a direct impact on control plane behavior,
    like traffic engineering.

    This document outlines a set of use cases requiring a flexible
    framework to collect routing system data, and the features and
    functionality needed to make such a framework useful for these use
    cases.

The IETF Secretariat

Joe Marcus Clarke, CCIE #5384,         |          |
SCJP, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, VCP        |||||      |||||
Distinguished Services Engineer ..:|||||||||::|||||||||:..
Phone: +1 (919) 392-2867         c i s c o  S y s t e m s
Email: jcla...@cisco.com