On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Joe Marcus Clarke <jcla...@cisco.com> wrote:
> On 10/21/13, 5:02 PM, Scott Whyte wrote:
>>
>> We've submitted a draft of what we believe to be interesting bulk data
>> collection use cases for I2RS, and the concomitant functionality
>> missing from existing solutions.  Please read and comment.
>>
>> Normative and informative references are still to be added, and the
>> draft is still rough around the edges.  Data model discussions are
>> deliberately left out, hopefully the scope is sufficient.  And of
>> course other interesting use cases would be welcome.
>>
>> Thanks for having a look.
>

> Thanks for raising this, Scott.  In terms of the streaming (i.e., live data
> feeds), I see this as a very valuable thing for our traceability draft as
> well.  I feel there is a good compliment there.  Early on I had thought I2RS
> itself (via notifications) could make logging data available as a "stream."
>
> With your idea of bulk information collection and querying/filtering, we can
> install a filter to collect specific log messages or specific parts of log
> messages.  This would be very beneficial for troubleshooting and consistency
> validation.

Joe,
Thanks for the feedback.  I think there is a good fit for this
information source in traceability as well;  having consumers
subscribe to different streams, with different parameters, for
different purposes should be very powerful.  Ideally the same system
could support streaming all the logs off to a pub-sub message bus
system for filtering, especially if the number of consumers and
overlapping data is high, which should have some nice scaling
properties.

-Scott

> Joe
>

>> -Scott

There was never any more inception than there is now,
Nor any more youth or age than there is now,
And will never be any more perfection than there is now,
Nor any more heaven or hell than there is now.
  -Walt Whitman