Hello Gereon,

1) We could suppress or defer the signal and continue sleeping until the
proper number of seconds have passed. Not what I'd like to do...
2) We could refresh and start with the intervals from there. This
however means that we drop the alignment. This basically amounts to the
code before I changed it.

The whole point of the signal is to force a refresh immediately, so that's not really an option.

3) We could refresh, start with the intervals from there and realign
every minute or so. In this case, we have another shorter interval right
before a new minute starts and "ugly" numbers in between.

That's what my patch does. What do you mean by "ugly numbers"? I get the feeling that I totally miss the point ;)

Cheers,
  Marco