On 2014-09-21 05:14, Tony Crisci wrote:
Here you go: `bindsym $mod+Escape pkill i3-nagbar`.

i have a better hack:

sudo mv /usr/bin/i3-nagbar /usr/bin/i3-nagbar-no

Yes, nobody likes nagbar.

and here we have a misunderstanding. i like nagbar, because it would be a very elegant way of displaying dialogs inside the window manager without resorting to extra tools like dialog, ncurses, gtk, or whatever.

Nagbar is meant to be a teaching tool for new users.

ouch. see engineering below..

It appears when you have a syntax error in your config file or duplicate
binding. It's there to warn you about the default key combination that
exits the wm so you don't press it on accident for the first time. If
your config file is free of errors, you should never see it.

i am really glad that the designers of most software dont follow your line of thought. imagine all software would display funky big bars that *do not follow their own design paradigm* and force you to use a differnt interface than they usually do.

One thing that I don't like about some desktop environments is that they
are too talky. There is always something flashing in the corner or some
popup notification that I don't care about on my screen. i3 is designed
to be quiet.

yes, and that's a good thing. i dont want i3 to talk more. but here's the thing: i3 already has a method to display user-initiated system dialogs, aka "the nagbar", but they do not follow the general design paradigm of keyboard-centered control. and that is the thing i am trying to get across. i3 doesnt follow it's own rules.

There is no other window manager "meta information" that
needs to be displayed in nagbar other than config errors. This is good
unix engineering.

i dont know too much about good _unix_ engineering, but good engineering doesnt get in the way of the user and changes behaviour midway.

mind: nagbar should nag. but in my opinion it should not be the only tool that requires a very specific type of hardware to be attached to the computer. that's all i am saying.

cheers,
grubernd