On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 6:20 AM, grubernd <li...@mehrzweckraum.com> wrote:
> On 2014-09-21 05:14, Tony Crisci wrote:
>>
>> Here you go: `bindsym $mod+Escape pkill i3-nagbar`.
>

> i have a better hack:
>
> sudo mv /usr/bin/i3-nagbar /usr/bin/i3-nagbar-no
>
>> Yes, nobody likes nagbar.
>

> and here we have a misunderstanding. i like nagbar, because it would be a
> very elegant way of displaying dialogs inside the window manager without
> resorting to extra tools like dialog, ncurses, gtk, or whatever.
>
>> Nagbar is meant to be a teaching tool for new users.
>

> ouch. see engineering below..
>
>> It appears when you have a syntax error in your config file or duplicate
>> binding. It's there to warn you about the default key combination that
>> exits the wm so you don't press it on accident for the first time. If
>> your config file is free of errors, you should never see it.
>

> i am really glad that the designers of most software dont follow your line
> of thought. imagine all software would display funky big bars that *do not
> follow their own design paradigm* and force you to use a differnt interface
> than they usually do.
>

>> One thing that I don't like about some desktop environments is that they
>> are too talky. There is always something flashing in the corner or some
>> popup notification that I don't care about on my screen. i3 is designed
>> to be quiet.
>

> yes, and that's a good thing. i dont want i3 to talk more. but here's the
> thing: i3 already has a method to display user-initiated system dialogs, aka
> "the nagbar", but they do not follow the general design paradigm of
> keyboard-centered control. and that is the thing i am trying to get across.
> i3 doesnt follow it's own rules.
>
>> There is no other window manager "meta information" that
>> needs to be displayed in nagbar other than config errors. This is good
>> unix engineering.
>

> i dont know too much about good _unix_ engineering, but good engineering
> doesnt get in the way of the user and changes behaviour midway.
>
> mind: nagbar should nag. but in my opinion it should not be the only tool
> that requires a very specific type of hardware to be attached to the
> computer. that's all i am saying.
It doesn’t require a mouse. You can just kill it. Or fix the error in
your config file and run “i3 reload”. Or (for the use case of exiting
your session) run “i3 exit”, or just shut down your computer, or
terminate the X session otherwise.

There are plenty of alternatives, but they are not as convenient as
just using nagbar when having a mouse attached. Similarly, i3 comes
with a resize mode configured by default (keyboard shortcuts), yet
resizing with a mouse is typically more convenient.

i3’s line of thinking doesn’t dictate the keyboard as the one and only
input device in all situations. We encourage you to use whichever
input device is the most appropriate. For most window management
operations, that’s clearly the keyboard, for resizing that’s most
often the mouse, for nagging users that’s clearly the mouse :).

Also note that nagbar is _not_ a generic tool to display dialogs that
is well integrated into i3. Its purpose really is to nag you about
config errors (so that you don’t nag us in our support channels) and
before exiting a session accidentally. For the latter, you are
expected to eventually change your config to bypass nagbar entirely.

I don’t want to shut you up, but after this reply I don’t think
there’s a lot to talk about anymore. I get that you don’t like the
situation as-is, but the nagbar concept works very well for all other
users that I’ve talked to, and it is very unlikely to change.

--
Best regards,
Michael