So?  I'm not against lengthening - I just don't see the need for 5 digit
lengths.

> > card data set.  Only the C/C++ compiler (from what I've seen in my
> > experience) has that capability.
> >
> Which capability?  Pass or Receive?

Receive.  And I am against a control card option as suggested earlier.

> For examples of both, I've routinely passed much over 100
> bytes from Rexx "address ATTCHMVS ASMA90" to HLASM, which
> properly received and processed it.

I've written many an assembler program that calls compilers, and utilities,
including the DD card overide parameters.

> I know, painfully, because when I attempted to report a HLASM
> bug (several releases ago; now well fixed), HLASM support
> asked me to re-create it with JCL.
> When JCL choked on the PARM length, I fired off a SEV2 on the
> JCL error message, citing HLASM's request that I supply the
> equivalent JCL.  (The bug did _not_ depend on the PARM
> length; I was ultimately able to re-create it with a parm
> <=100 characters.)

ISTR you bringing this up a while ago...which means that it has probably
bubbled to the top of someone's think-about list.  :-)

I think we agree, except for the length issue.  I'll support any extension
beyond 100; I'm just not wedded to 4 and 5 digit lengths if IBM has to jump
through proverbial hoops to do it.

Later,
Ray