In
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
on 05/13/2005
   at 01:32 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>Now as for breaking the 8 bit limit, I would say a new parameter in
>the JCL that can not be used if PARM is. The only thing with the
>keyword name is; one should look down the line when the current PARM
>is not used / supported, if ever, and only the new keyword is in use.
>Use XPARM, PARMX ... whatever as the keyword; but the way the
>parameter is passed would seem to be the important thing.

Unless you're willing to break all existing code, there's no real
choice; R1 must point to a PLIST and the first word must point to a
halfword length followed by the PARM.

>Use R0 to contain the length and R1 point to the 8 bits of zeros
>followed by the value, so an old program thinks the length is zero
>and no PARM was passed.

No. The existing code uses a 16-bit length, not an 8-bit length. You'd
need 16 bits of zeros.

>This way the JCL could be changed to the new way and with a small
>change, insert MACRO x in the program, all will be well.

That's not a small change when you don't have source code for all of
your programs, or even know what all of your programs are.