In a recent note, Tom Schmidt said:

> Date:         Fri, 20 May 2005 11:03:28 -0500
>
> On Fri, 20 May 2005 08:47:43 -0400, Don Ault <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >- No change to the parms passed to the application.  Halfword length,
> >followed by the parm data.  Symbolic substitution supported.

I like it.

> >- To address the integrity issue, programs linked with AC=1, coming from
> >APF authorized libraries, will require a new Binder attribute in order to
> >get past the converter/interpreter with parms > 100.

I don't know the architecture.  Is the C/I cognizant of load module
attributes?  I would have expected that to be the initiator's
responsibility.

> If you limit the long parms to 32K instead of 64K I have little issue, but
> by raising your limit to unauthorized programs to 64K you create an
> architectural problem:  Old programs loading the "halfword length on a
> halfword boundary" length value using the LH instruction will receive
> negative values for such long parameters.  They are unlikely to
> successfully handle such arithmetic values as they would have been very
> unanticipated when they were written some 30-35 years ago.

But isn't the objective of the proposal to free programmers of
the architectural limitations of old programs written in old
languages, such as 100-character static buffers, the MVC instruction
and the LH instruction?  "C" language provides the type declaration
(unsigned short), and the compiler generates suitable instruction
sequences to manipulate it.  Don't burden today's programmers
with restrictions adapted to yesterday's facilities.  If you
wish to accommodate older programs, simply pass them shorter
PARMs.

> If a 32K PARM string isn't long enough I hold out little hope that a 64K
> string is going to always satisfy the user's requirements.

OTOH, it's hard to argue against that.

-- gil
--
StorageTek