In
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
on 05/23/2005
   at 12:57 PM, Peter Hunkeler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>How about the code sniplet below? Sure it would be better to also
>verify the upper bound, i.e. 100 bytes, but is it really necessary,
>especially if the program was written when batch was the way to run
>programs?

Yes, because all the way back to the early days of OS/360, a main
program was just another subroutine with a specific type of PLIST. I
know of no IBM documentation that ever suggested a limit of 100
characters for the program. If a batch program calls a second program,
that second program is still running batch.

>The program was defined to run in batch.

And when a program running in batch calls it, then it *is* running in
batch, even if the parm string is longer than 100 characters.