You boys (and girls) are so dad blasted smart. Corolarry number 1: I am so stuborn.

I did some stc testing(took the initiator and fragmentation out of the picture) to find what size I really did have. Seems that when GDAREGSZ is indicating 12288K(12M), I really only have 12072K available. So, I backed off my maximum region size from GDAREGSZ by .5M for my max region and backed it off 64K more for max getmain. Once I bounced the system, I could start an STC with REGION=15M and it works like a champ.

I suppose for a production system, I would probably want to back off 1M for batch jobs to allow for (lots of) initiator fragmentation.

Hal Merritt wrote:

I think Don's point may be that you don't really have 12M. You did at
one time, but the initiator address space has become fragmented and
cluttered.

The way to test that is to run with a 'fresh' initiator.
Saw this all the time in another shop. Recycling initiators was a
standard operations response to an 822. Some jobs were so bad that they
had to be the very first scheduled in to a specific initiator. HTH and good luck.