On Wed, 25 May 2005 15:11:01 -0500, McKown, John
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Of course, if an initiator is badly
>fragmented, it might be nice to have a way to automagically restart it.

You can!  This became available in z/OS 1.5.  We skipped 1.5, but
I implemented this as we rolled out z/OS 1.6 on each system.  It
is done via  VSM CHECKREGIONLOSS(below,above) setting in DIAGxx
and works with both JES2 initiators and intitiators managed by
JES3, WLM and APPC.

For example, my DIAGxx looks like this:

VSM TRACK CSA(ON) SQA(ON)
VSM TRACE GETFREE(OFF)
VSM CHECKREGIONLOSS(300K,10M)

Prior to this we had automation code that recycled INITs whenever
a job abended.  Back when we had JES2 managed INITs we also
recycled them on a time scheduled basis several times a day.

Thanks again to Jim Mulder for implementing this to "fix" a problem
that has been around longer than I have been doing sysetm's programming.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Sr. Software and Systems Architect