On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 10:28:22 -0400, Bruce Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Are you certain that the VTOCIX is full?

Pretty sure.  Or at least it was.  It got a little better after a migration run
over the weekend.
On Friday, an attempt to rename a dataset on the volume got:
IEC603I VTOC ERRORS MAY EXIST ON 0B89,PROD01,8,027
IEC331I 042-002(0812041B),SYSMATT ,$TSOUSER,RNAM,IGG0CLH2
IEC331I VOL,PROD01,NAME,SMFMVS.NEWSTAT
IEC614I RENAME FAILED - RC 008, DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION IS (0812041B),598

Looking up the error message, the doc seemed to say it was caused by not being
able to create a VTOCIX record.

>Generally the VTOCIX takes
>only a fraction of the size of the active VTOC, so this would be true
>only if you have a large VTOC with many datasets or VSAM components, and
>a small VTOCIX.   According to the numbers that IBM quotes (in an
>appendix of the ICKDSF manual), the VTOCIX needs to be only about 5% of
>the size of the VTOC, so a 5 track VTOCIX is adequate for 100 track VTOC.

That doesn't seem to be true here. We have several 3390-3 volumes with 75-track
VTOCs and 14-track VTOCIXes.  Running the report you suggested shows VTOCs
ranging from 85-95% full, and VTOCIXes running from 97-99% full, so it looks
like in our case, it's closer to 20% than 5%.  I'm not sure why.
I know we have some weird applications that create a bunch of empty 1-track
datasets (and maybe even 0=track), so
we tend to use a lot more DSCBs on a 3390-3 volume than saner installations
would, but I don't know if
that affects the VTOC-to-VTOCIX ratio.

>If they are truly full, the jobs that others have suggested can be used
>to expand the VTOCIX without moving the VTOC.  On today's control units,
>there is no particular performance advantage to having the VTOCIX next
>to the VTOC, only a space fragmentation advantage.

I'm aware that placement is no longer a performance issue, and I don't really
care about
fragmentation, so moving the VTOCIX is okay.  Unfortunately, since the VTOCs
are also close to
full, they'll probably fill up next.  And, with the VVDS right next to the
VTOC,  the VTOC can't be expanded without moving either the VTOC or the VVDS,
and I don't think either of those can be moved with the volume active.  (I
realize there's also no reason for the VVDS and the VTOC to be adjacent, but
they are, so I'm stuck with it.)