In a message dated 6/9/2005 5:58:28 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I find  what you describe as simply amazing - anyone can walk in with
someone's  name, address and SS number and open bank accounts, take loans,
get a  driver's licence, etc. I think the system you describe is
irresponsible,  and not the Bank. As a Bank Teller in my early working life,
I am simply  horrified that in the USA a person can simply waltz in and open
an account  with simply an SS number and no verification of the  identity.

Banks and other large businesses that want to stay in business follow all
our national, state, and local regulations to the letter.  Our system  is
indeed
irresponsible in many ways, and businesses typically only do the  minimum
which is legally required.  But things are tightening  up.  I opened a bank
account one year ago in Illinois, and was required to  show a photo ID, my
Social
Security number, and at least one document "proving"  my new home address was
in Illinois.  The bank accepted as proof of  residence a utility bill
(electricity, telephone, water, trash pickup, etc.)  mailed to my home.  Some
of these
changes were no doubt brought about by  9/11.  On the other hand (cynics take
heart), fake photo IDs and other such  "proofs" are not difficult to acquire.

Bill Fairchild