>SNIP<
>
> I will go for it hey its almost Friday.
>
> If you can't figure out what the message is saying open a PMR with
> the COBOL people tell them for the up teenth time that these
> messages are NOT self describing.
>
> Ed

>> IGYPS0157-E   A shift-out was found in column 50 without a
>> matching shift-in in a nonnumeric or national literal.  The
>> literal was processed as written.

A shift-out without a shift-in?  Pretty obvious.

>> IGYPS0158-E   A nonnumeric or national literal containing double-
>> byte characters was found which exceeded the maximum literal
>> length or reached end of area "B" before terminating.  A literal
>> delimiter was placed at column 72 of line nnnn

And you forgot to terminate or continue in accordance with the rules.

What is not self describing about these?

>UNSNIP<

What is not self-describing about these is why they suddenly started appearing
when the programmer hadn't changed any of his code, that's what!
This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)and may
contain confidential and privileged information of Transaction NetworkServices.

Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution isprohibited.  If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact thesender by reply e-mail and