Interestingly enough, back in OS/390 2.8 JCL Reference, it references and
shows examples of JOB statements on procedures in both the IEFJOBS and the
IEFPDSI datasets.  So, even if you don't have IEFJOBS defined, it looks
like you can stick the job in an IEFPDSI-defined library with a JOB card,
PROC and PEND statements, and let it fly.

Brian and John, are your test procs/jobs in a library in the IEFPDSI
concatenation?  Do you have PROC/PEND statements in the members?  Required
to add them if going this way.  (These aren't required using the IEFJOBS
route, BTW.  Using IEFJOBS also allows you to use INCLUDE statements; nice
flexibility there.)

Mark, I'm sure you already know, but for those just starting to play with
started jobs, IEFJOBS is only significant if you have the JOB defined as a
member of that library.

McKown, John wrote:

>I found the changes in the z/OS 1.6 JCL reference. Apparently z/OS 1.6
>allows a JOB statement in what used to be a started procedure (started
>task) library. Yet another reason to upgrade!

Mark Zelden responded:
I ran on a test on z/OS 1.4 and it worked, but the system already
is using IEFJOBS in MSTJCLxx.

Cheers,,,Steve

Steve Conway
Systems Programmer