Bill,

This is brand new information, but I am not sure that it is correct. You
state that simply butting PLPA and Common up against one another will cause
ASM to treat them as one single dataset. I really don't think this is
correct.

AFAIK the Seldom Ending Channel Program running to the Common Page Dataset
will complete for any access to another dataset on the volume that wants to
use that exposure. It doesn't matter if it is the PLPA page dataset or a
backup of my CD collection titles. On a dedicated volume, the Seldom Ending
Channel Program completes less often because the one Cyl PLPA minimises the
activity to PLPA. Doesn't matter if it adjacent to Common, or on the last
CYL of the volume - it will still cause the Common Page Dataset Channel
Program to delete.

Greg Dyck posted a discussion on Seldom Ending Channel Program seven years
ago, which included his advice on configuring PLPA and Common Page Datasets.
http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9809&L=ibm-main&D=0&O=D&X=2DEDDB1329D229
429A&Y=ronhawkins%40i-cable.com&P=46510 is an interesting read. (Watch the
wrap).

It also reminded me that long running ASM Chains are not a good thing. Until
the Channel Program ends or suspends none of the page-ins in that chain are
available to use. It's like a train - doesn't matter how many carriages
there are, everyone finishes the journey at the same time.

Ron