From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Charles Mills
Sent: Monday August 01 2005 12:47
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Reference for DCB coexistence with RMODE 31 programs?

Okay, I admit it, this is kind of an embarrassingly newbie-ish post for
someone who has been writing assembler for 36 years. My only excuse is that
having sold my old company lock, stock, and barrel, and now working solo, I
have no old reference code to fall back on.

I've got some assembler subroutines (non-reentrant) in which I rather lazily
embedded QSAM and BPAM macros. That of course limits the code to RMODE=24. I
would like to move the necessary control blocks to AMODE=24 STORAGE and let
the code be RMODE ANY31. (The code currently runs AMODE ANY with no
problems.)

Question: is there any reference that provides a succinct statement of the
steps necessary? (If not, why not, but that's a different topic.) Yes, I
know each macro is separately documented in the two DFSMS manuals, but I
mean, is there any overview of the conversion steps necessary.

If there isn't a manual, I would welcome this esteemed group's input. I need
to move the DCB to AMODE=24 STORAGE. I need to point each DCB to its own
DCBE, which can be above the line, and I need to move the appropriate EODAD=
and so forth operands to the DCBE. What else? I don't need a tutorial on
24-bit adcons or anything, I'm very familiar with the theoretical concepts
and the usage of the macros in general, just what else specifically do I
need to do to get from RMODE 24 code to RMODE ANY31? I'm familiar with
DSECTs and copying model control blocks from CSECTs to STORAGE areas. What
are the gotchas? The code in question has both DCB abend and SYNAD exits.

Thanks!

Charles Mills

to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the
archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html