All(hopefully Frank),

I'm not a DFSORT expert, but have some questions(an ETR has
Already been opened with IBM on this).  We recently
Started adding MOD27's to our SMS management pool that is used
For SORTWKxx allocations.  Jobs that worked in the past now fail
Because DFSORT cannot switch to BLOCKSET mode because of some
Other issue, which when coding SORTDIAG, DFSORT does tell us.  It just
Seems to me that DFSORT doesn't handle MOD27's too well when jobs
Coded and run for years that work fine with SORTWKxx allocations to 3390-3
or
3390-9 work volumes work just fine.  What are others experience?  Did you
leave
SORTWKxx allocations on mod-9's?  We've got thousands of jobs, and don't
Want to wait for the ticking timebomb.....

Other user experiences would be helpful.

Dave

One failed because we were trying to sort RECFM=V
Records with a length of 32760, which I believe to be valid.  If I subtract
4 from that(32756), then the sort works fine, exept the user data is
reported
To be 32760.  See:

ICE201I 0 RECORD TYPE IS V - DATA STARTS IN POSITION 5

ICE024A 1 RECORD LENGTH VALUE ERROR

ICE751I 0 C5-K03171 C6-Q95214 C7-Q96146 C8-K03171 EE-BASE   E7-K03171

ICE800I 0 BLOCKSET TECHNIQUE COULD NOT BE USED - REASON CODE IS 01

ICE802I J PEER/VALE    TECHNIQUE IN CONTROL

ICE000I J - CONTROL STATEMENTS FOR 5694-A01, Z/OS DFSORT V1R5 - 14:28 ON WED
JUL 27, 2005 -
           SORT
FIELDS=(226,2,A,232,2,A,228,4,A,234,6,A,214,8,A,72,2,A,61,2,A),  X

                         FORMAT=CH,WORK=4

           RECORD TYPE=V,LENGTH=32760

           INPFIL BLKSIZE=32764,VSAM

           OUTFIL BLKSIZE=32764,ESDS

ICE211I J OLD OUTFIL STATEMENT PROCESSING USED

           END

ICE201I J RECORD TYPE IS V - DATA STARTS IN POSITION 5

ICE193I J ICEAM1 ENVIRONMENT IN EFFECT - ICEAM1 INSTALLATION MODULE SELECTED

ICE088I J T90CCLR5.TSSR70  .        , INPUT LRECL = 32764, BLKSIZE = 32768,
TYPE = V
ICE285A J BLOCKSET IS REQUIRED FOR WORK DATA SETS ON VOLUMES WITH MORE THAN
17476 CYLINDERS

On another, BLOCKSET could not be used because of:

ICE201I 0 RECORD TYPE IS F - DATA STARTS IN POSITION 1
ICE039A 9 INSUFFICIENT MAIN STORAGE - ADD AT LEAST 16K BYTES
ICE751I 0 C5-K03171 C6-Q95214 C7-Q96146 C8-K03171 E4-Q95214 C9-BASE
E5-K01972
E7-K03171
ICE800I 0 BLOCKSET TECHNIQUE COULD NOT BE USED - REASON CODE IS 01

Dave Jousma
Principal Systems Programmer
Fifth Third Bank
Information Technology
' Phone: (616) 653-8429
7 Fax:    (616) 653-8497

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you
receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any
manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please
reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was
misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your
assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.