SOAP is Simple Object Access Protocol.  It is often implemented in JAVA.
It is generally designed to implemnt RPC type functionallity using HTTP
protocol, thou it has a greater scope than that.  There is nothing
preventing you from rolling your own, however it may be a piece of work.
If I remember correctly there are 2 pieces UDDI, for publishing the
methods and there parameters, and SOAP request/respones.  It basically
allows XML documents to be "executed".  There are open source
implmentations available, check out http://ws.apache.org/soap/ for more
detailed information.

Good luck