On Sep 2, 2005, at 5:24 AM, Robert Wright wrote:

Somewhere in the mists of time I got the idea that multi-volume (or
stripped) dumps were not supported. I think I ran into this 10 years
ago (before stripping). Was that ever the case?

I vaguely recall having a dump that needed several volumes and AMDPRDMP
would not touch any volume after the first.

-----------------------------SNIP------------------------------------

PRDMP left the scene long before any of this happened.  IPCS has always
"supported" multi-volume dumps and was designed to index randomly-ordered dump records, but performing well in the face of really large instances of multi-volume SADMPs has been a challenge. That remains the case although we've made a dent in the performance concerns - hopefully soon enough so you don't get the brunt of them. The best advice that I can give on that
front is to copy the dumps out of the multi-volume data set where SADMP
wrote it before commencing analysis using IPCS COPYDUMP. Place the copy in
an extended format data set that exploits striping and compression
capabilities of DFSMS, and make the original multi-volume data set
available for use whenever it may be needed again. We're putting logic in COPYDUMP to recognize how SADMP scatters data across the volumes, writing out the copy much as though SADMP had been given the time to write the dump
to just one volume.

Bob Wright  - z/OS MVS Service Aids

Bob,

That sounds about right. I always disliked the IPCS handling of dumps. It was just never (to me) a straight forward invocation like AMDPRDMP. I fought it until the bitter end. Maybe because I was missing SHARE a lot and never got to any of the sessions. That and I have a gut instinct not to like VSAM. I dislike the VSAM volume ownership issue the most (I think).

Any requirements out there to rid IPCS of any VSAM usage?

Ed