Hi John,

 It would be helpful to know a _little_ about what this C/C++
 code does.  For example, C I/O is byte-oriented; which is generally
 a poor idea on the mainframe.  If you C/C++ programs are doing I/O,
 and if it was ported unchanged from another system, then that could
 be your issue.

 If, on the other hand, the C/C++ program had to do "decimal"
 operations - COBOL might be a better choice (although IBM and
 Dignus C have extensions to generate Packed instructions.)

 If you C code has a lot of small functions; then the runtime
 overhead of a function call can be significant.  We like to think
 our overhead is smaller than that of the LE runtime, so we could
 help there; but you might want to try the XPLINK linkage with the
 IBM compiler to see if that helps.  The "lots of little functions"
 phenomena is particularly common with C++.

 But - as far as computation goes, I can't imagine COBOL can
 add two register-sized integers and faster or slower than C can.

        - Dave Rivers -

John Fly wrote:

I have been trying to find a reasonable answer to this behavior, but as
of yet I can not find a definitive resource to tell me why.

If anyone here has suggestions as where to look, I would forever be
grateful for any assistance you could provide.

I realize that this post is lacking true details, if there is any piece
of information needed let me know and I will explain as best I can.

Thank you,
JF

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com