In a recent note, Mark Zelden said:

> Date:         Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:26:01 -0500
> Sender:       IBM Mainframe Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
> From:         Mark Zelden <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: Setting Completion Code in Batch?
>
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:56:25 -0700, Ray Mullins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >I've got an assembler program that takes the return code in the PARM:
> >Would you like it?

More than I need now; obviously useful elsewhere.  Thanks.

> IDCAMS works good for 1-15.   This exec should work fine for
> anything else.

The RM states a maximum of 16.  Does not state a minimum.
Empirically, 0 works.  Empirically, 16 causes immediate
termination of IDCAMS.  This may be documented elsewhere
than in the SET command.

But why the limit of 16?  They could have extended the
usefullness by allowing up to 4095 at no cost.  Well,
two characters in the message text.  They could have
allowed up to 99 at no cost.

I should be grateful they didn't enforce multiple of 4,
I guess.

> /* rexx - set return code based on parm */

Again, thanks, but not self-contained.  I could do the
equivalent in one HLASM job step with SYSPARM and MNOTE,
I think.  So far, IDCAMS is simplest for the function
I want.  And no one has reacted with outraged accusations
of abusive programming.

Thanks again,
--
StorageTek