Barbara Nitz wrote on 09/26/2005 07:13:24 AM:

> >Some have suggested that we add an option to WHERE,
> >filtering based on data type. The most common filter that has been
> >proposed is a MODULE data type filter. It would be interesting to hear
> >opinions on this suggestion from regular IBM-MAIN contributers
>
> I am not sure I understand what is proposed here. What would a module
data
> type filter do to WHERE (or systrace)?

The key to understanding why a module filter has been proposed is that
WHERE produces a report describing multiple things containing a byte, but
it only returns a single "best fit" result via symbol X (or the WHERE
service parameter list).

A MODULE data type filter would tell WHERE that the invoker of the service
or the subcommand was only interested in modules containing the byte of
interest.  If you had the option in effect and pointed WHERE at offset 0 in
the CVT, the single piece of information returned via symbol X (or the
WHERE service parameter list) would name the nucleus CSECT containing the
byte instead of returning a description of STRUCTURE(CVT) whose origin
would yield a better fit.  The origin of the CSECT is a few bytes lower
than offeset 0 in the CVT to accomodate the CVT prefix.

In common parlance symbol X (and the WHERE service parameter list) do the
following:

1.  Unqualified questioners get the best available answer to "What named
AREA, MODULE, or STRUCTURE contains that byte?"

2.  Questioners asking about modules would only get  X set if a module
contained the byte.

As you and others have described what you'd like SYSTRACE to do, SYSTRACE
would use module filtering in its calls to the WHERE service routine
because it would want answers pertaining to modules and would not be
interested in answers pertaining to AREAs or STRUCTUREs.

Bob Wright - z/OS MVS Service Aids