>Not really. UNIX System Services has got involved with the Communications

>Server (CS) IP component over the years and, I expect, will into the
future.
>However, it started before UNIX System Services and its predecessors
>appeared - or perhaps about the same time but was completely independent.

>Consequently, I expect you could run CS IP and have nothing to do with
>anything touched by UNIX System Services. Can anybody still reading
verify
>this?

>Chris Mason

No.  The opposite in fact.  A few years ago IP was re-written to use the
Unix APIs.  The old APIs now call BPXxxxx APIs under the covers. All
programs that use TCP/IP must be dubbed, and have an OMVS segment in their
RACF profile.

Unfortunately when they made this change they did not change any of the
documentation, so the IP socket calls are still documented as requiring
TCB mode.  If you code using the BPXxxxx interfaces, especially the Async
I/O interface (BPX1AIO or BPX4AIO), all your TCP/IP code can be in SRB
mode.  This means it could run in a zIIP eligible enclave if you chose to
do so.  I expect the socket calls to IP would probably also work in SRB
mode, but they remain documented as TCB mode only. If you are writing
Socket programs you do not have to use the TCP/IP manuals, you need the
z/OS Unix books.  http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/bpxzb190.pdf

Tom Russell

"Stay calm.  Be brave.  Wait for the signs." -- Jasper FriendlyBear
"... and remember to leave good news alone." -- Gracie HeavyHand