On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 00:44:20 -0500, Barbara Nitz <nitz-
i...@gmx.net> wrote:

>Recent experience has shown (and resulted in *a lot* of ETRs)
>that TCPIP cannot exist without the OMVS address space ...

This is absolutely the case.  The TCP/IP address space will hang
in initialization if Unix System Services is (are?) not available.  I
think the symptoms may vary with release.

>What did NOT come down were the three corresponding telnet
>address spaces.

This was by design.  (Not just working as designed.)  I've heard 2
justifications for this:
1.  Faster recovery if a TCP/IP stack crashes.  Depending on the
Tn3270 configuration, Tn3270 initialization can be lengthy.

2.  In a multi-stack environment access to Tn3270 may still be
available through another stack.  (I did not hear this justification
from IBM and have never worked in a multi-stack environment so
I don't know if that explanation holds water.)

In my opinion (which counts for nothing) this was not the right
decission, but it was a purposeful one, not ust an accidental
implementation.   I think they could have made this behavior
optional, but they forgot to ask me.  :-)

Pat O'Keefe