>It is a misdesign that the OS allows this ever to happen.  The
>principal use of this facility is to correct errors that were
>introduced by its earlier inadvertent use.  Simply, any OPEN for
>WRITE with overriding attributes where the label contains different
>nonzero attributes should ABEND for inconsistent attributes.

>If the programmer feels compelled to change attributes the
>recourse should be:

>o ZAP the VTOC, or
I use the same mis-design to reset it back to the original blocksize. If the
change was recent (last couple of days), I make an attempt to find the culprit
and have them fix their jcl. Zapping the vtoc is the last (*very* reluctant)
resort and only to be done by a very select few.

>o COPY, reblock, and rename.
This is the proper way to make a planned, permanent change to the dataset
attributes.

Regards,
John