Depends what weight you are capping it at. If you only have minimal structures in the CF then you do not need a full CP for the CF. You might be able to cap it at 25% and still get the required performance; and the performance might still be better than turning off the always polling. As always, your mileage may vary so you need to understand your environment and how you are using the CF. I also recommended not sharing a CF with the production GP processors because it can have the potential to impact production if you are not careful.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gibney, Dave" <gib...@wsu.edu>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2009 3:27 AM
Subject: Re: DASD: to share or not to share

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Joel Wolpert
Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 12:17 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu

You can configure it so that it is not always polling, and therefore
not
soaking up the CPU. In addition, you can set up an lpar weight and cap
the

Does not "cap it CF LPAR" ask for or equal "hang production LPAR(s)"
waiting for CF response?

ICF lpar. This will also prevent the ICF from consuming more of the
CEC
than
you want. All of this being said: I would not recommend that you share
CF
with the production lpars. If someone changes the config of the CF you
might
end up with a performance problem.