If children play with fire, they will eventually get burned!

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 22:42:04 -0600, Frank Swarbrick
<frank.swarbr...@efirstbank.com> wrote:

>That is exactly what I did.  Well, "as quickly as I could type", in any case.
>We have PDSESHARING(NORMAL) in our IGDSMSxx file, for whatever that might
be worth.

It's worth nothing in regards to sharing PDSE across sysplex boundaries for
anything but READ ONLY functions.

>On 8/8/2009 at 1:31 AM, in message
><edfbe8a9b39ed541ba3c8177c32ff0c8bc3...@exchangevs-02.ad.wsu.edu>, "Gibney,
>Dave" <gib...@wsu.edu> wrote:
>> Actually I was speculating about the ability to "refresh" in memory
>> knowledge of the PDSE(s) in the other LPAR(s).

There is no command or facility to do that.  There is the sledge hammer
approach of IPLing.   :-)   Well... it may not be all that bad - more below.

>> What you describe is not
>> guaranteed.
>>   Try 1. Run existing copy of the program in LPAR-P. 2. Quickly update
>> it from LPAR-other. 3. Quickly try in LPAR-P. I don't believe you will
>> always get the new version.

Apparently he did.  But why?  (more below)

This probably worked for 2 reasons:

1) Nothing else had the target loadlib allocated and / or opened.

2) PDSE(1)_BUFFER_BEYOND_CLOSE was not set to YES.

Try the same test again with the target (output) PDSE loadlib that is in
use by a long running address space, say... a CICS region.  Or how about
a library that happens to be in LLA or the LNKLST.

Changes to PDSE data sets in a sysplex are communicated via XCF.  Which
means if you don't have a sysplex, you are S.O.L. when it comes to sharing
PDSEs that need to have changes made (update).

I mentioned the sledge hammer approach of IPLing above.   The same goal
can probably be achieved (reading a "fresh copy" of the PDSE) if you can
make sure no address spaces are using the PDSE and you aren't using the
PDSE(1)_BUFFER_BEYOND_CLOSE=YES option.     But that could be a
really difficult task in a production environment depending on the library.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:mark.zel...@zurichna.com