>If I were doing I/O performance measurement and tuning today, I would most
>definitely not use that number.

Why not?
That is what it is -- constant.
I'm pretty sure it's derived from the equation 128 mics * 6500 = 8.32 ms.

>Since you are using the number, you should verify its accuracy and, if not
>accurate any more, ask IBM yourself or else find a more modern analysis of
>average I/O service time.

The number is good for the 'quick and dirty'.
I never said that Ron's suggestion for the analysis of I/O from RMF (etc) was
wrong.
Nor did I say I was using the number, myself.
I was just disputing the comment that EXCP's were only block counts.
That depends on the setting (TIME or COUNT).
And, I believe COUNT is still the default.
-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!