Darth,

>From what I see in the primary space management messages coming from
DFHSM, the volumes these datasets are on do get processed by PSM.  From
the Storage Admin Guide, all the datasets on the volume are scanned for
eligibility for being deleted.  Pass 1 of PSM also deletes all datasets
that are eligible based on MGMT class - regardless of whether they are
backed up or not.

This is definitely puzzling to me.  From what I can see, I have
everything defined properly, but these things just won't go away.

Rex

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Darth Keller
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 2:03 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: DFSMS and deleting expired datasets by management class

>From the Manual "DFSMS Storage Administration Reference":

The Expire after Days Non-Usage field specifies how muhc time must
eleapse
since last access before a data set or object becomes ELIGIBLE for
expiration.

The keyword here is ELIGIBLE.   IIRC, deletion of datasets occurs during

Primary Space Managment.  PSM does not automatically occur for every
volume in storage group.  You have to know what your AutoMigration &
threshold values are for the storage group and then look at how that
works
with the Thresholds defined for that storage group.  This behavior is
covered in DFHSM Storage Administration Guide.

dd keller