OK, this is tacky, replying to my own post.  I just found a paragraph in
the DFHSM SAG that I missed earlier.  It appears as though these
datasets need to be backed up for DFHSM to automatically delete them.
>From the SAG,

DFSMShsm provides a patch byte that enables users to override the
requirement that an SMS-managed data set have a backup copy before it is
expired. For more information about this patch, refer to Chapter 16,
"Tuning DFSMShsm" in the z/OS DFSMShsm Implementation and Customization
Guide.

I have not set this patch byte so it appears as though I have to
actually open and change the dataset to force a backup before it will
get deleted.  I'll do more playing with this one and let everybody know
if this is my problem.

Thanks again, everybody, for your help and input.

Rex

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Pommier, Rex R.
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 9:31 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: DFSMS and deleting expired datasets by management class

Hi List,

I haven't been able to find an answer in the archives, so I'll ask the
list what I'm missing.  I'm trying to get DFSMShsm to delete expired
datasets based on management class.  To this end, I changed the "expire
non-usage" field for one of the test management classes to 5 days then
allocated a few new datasets in this management class.  I did this 7
days ago.  Today when I checked, the datasets were still there.  My
EXPIREDDATASET parameter is set to SCRATCH.  What am I missing?  How do
I get these datasets to delete automatically?

Test dataset catalog entry:

        NONVSAM ------- U05.RRP.JUNK

             IN-CAT --- CATALOG.WSCTEST.UCAT

             HISTORY

               DATASET-OWNER-----(NULL)     CREATION--------2009.218

               RELEASE----------------2     EXPIRATION------0000.000

               ACCOUNT-INFO-----------------------------------(NULL)

             SMSDATA

               STORAGECLASS ------SCSTD     MANAGEMENTCLASS-MCINTUAT

               DATACLASS ---------DCSTD     LBACKUP ---0000.000.0000

             VOLUMES

               VOLSER------------ZD2000     DEVTYPE------X'3010200F'
FSEQN------------------0

             ASSOCIATIONS--------(NULL)

             ATTRIBUTES

        ***

SMS constructs (with extra lines deleted):

         LINE           MGMTCLAS        EXPIRE     EXPIRE        RET
         OPERATOR       NAME            NON-USAGE  DATE/DAYS    LIMIT
        ---(1)----      --(2)---        ---(3)---  ---(4)----  --(5)--
                        MCINTUAT                5     NOLIMIT  NOLIMIT

PARTIAL      PRIMARY   LEVEL 1  CMD/AUTO
RELEASE      DAYS      DAYS     MIGRATE
CONDITIONAL        10       35  BOTH

A couple other items in the SMS construct for this mgmt class is that it
should have 3 backups if the dataset exists and 1 backup for a deleted
dataset.  This dataset apparently hasn't been backed up because I just
created it but didn't open it.  Could this be the reason it isn't being
deleted?  I thought the 1 backup for a deleted dataset simply says that
if there are backups when the dataset is deleted, to keep 1 backup copy
for a period of time.  Is this a mistaken thought?