Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: IBM halves mainframe Linux engine prices

What can be expected if we *drop* the IFL when migrating to the new machine? Is there a discount of some sort? For reasons I shall not get in to (as I probably don't have all of the facts) we are planning on eliminating the IFL we currently have when we go to our next machine.

Thanks!
Frank

On 8/18/2009 at 8:48 PM, in message
<46fe133d4aaa934296decc2288050f2b01e85...@gp2k0084v3.geico.corp.net>, "Knutson,
Sam" <sknut...@geico.com> wrote:
Yes.  The phrase you want to Google is "technology dividend".

The specialty processors IFL, ICF, IIP, IFA all "carry" to the new
machine but without an upcharge get significantly faster since all of
those run at full speed regardless of weather you run with sub-capacity
general purpose engines or not.  The GP engines carry the burden of the
pricing legacy that is pervasive on the platform but all the specialty
processors.
There is some fine print you need to do the right kind of upgrade you
cannot just acquire a new box without any connection to the old box and
float the engines over by osmosis:-)   This is not hard. We are still
carrying one IFL I think we bought on a 9672 G6 now it is on a z10 EC.
I don't have any other server that gets part of it's cores refreshed for
free every few years.

https://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/advantages/charter/techdividends.html

https://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/hardware/z10bc/index.html

        Best Regards,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO
                System z Performance and Availability Management
                mailto:sknut...@geico.com
                (office)  301.986.3574
                (cell) 301.996.1318

"Think big, act bold, start simple, grow fast..."