<snip>
What can be expected if we *drop* the IFL when migrating to the new
machine?  Is there a discount of some sort?
For reasons I shall not get in to (as I probably don't have all of the
facts) we are planning on eliminating the IFL we currently have when we
go to our next machine.
</snip>

Why would you want to "drop" the IFL? It is already bought and paid for
(buy once, upgrade forever). I seriously doubt that IBM or their
business partner will give you a credit for "dropping" the IFL.

The IFL is a general purpose engine loaded w/different microcode. There
is no "additional" hardware involved. It is already in the box and just
needs to be "turned on". The only reason I can think of why you would
want to do this is to fit into a smaller piece of hardware. E.G. z/10 EC
to z/10 BC.