On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:35:32 -0500, Matthew Stitt wrote:

>I actually like Lizette's solution far better than development.  Her
>solution is more functional and less specific.  I know of many that use the
>allocation routines for dataset work without using IEFBR14 (I for one).  All
>you need is to code JCL for a file that is not referenced in the program.

Since the initiator doesn't know whether any program will
OPEN a data set or not, this can be made to work only if
all RECALLs are deferred until OPEN.  This then means that
RECALLs will proceed consecutively rather than concurrently,
with attendant performance consequences.

>Actually the MIGDEL(Norecall) should be the default, since that is what is
>wanted anyway.  As has been discussed in this group several times in the
>past, the Recall becomes a real pain when all we wanted was for the dataset
>to go away.

Tough.  Use TSO TMP.  Or DSLIST.  (Or IDCAMS.  Does IDCAMS
likewise bypass RECALL of migrated data sets?)

-- gil